Our tenets are a set of guiding principles that summarize the key elements of the Precision Information Environments user experience. These tenets are informed by end user pain points and offer a collection of metrics the PIE community can use to assess the suitability of its technology.
The Precision Information Environments shall be:
Consistent, intuitive and poignant
The PIE user experience is sensitive to location, device and circumstance, while providing sufficient consistency to make PIE software easy to learn and use. The user experience is intended to be intuitive and the system communicates clearly and compellingly to users.
Comprehensive, accurate and timely
Data and intelligence are continuously gathered, reported and archived real time. PIEs will supports the collection and sharing of information, and clear representations of uncertainty pervade will information representations throughout the environment. Information visualization will ease information overload and make complex data sources digestible and therefore timely. Rich simulation and outcome analysis based on accurate information will improve strategic thinking.
Accessible, adaptable and democratized
Within a PIE, information and interfaces are shared across jurisdictions and departments. The system creates audience-appropriate representations that adapt to different activities and roles. Situation awareness is ubiquitous across a PIE, and all users have access to clear picture of their roles, responsibilities and options. Software and information can be used across all phases of operations from first response to advance planning.
Sharing of information, tools, and strategies within a PIE is easy and transparent. Remote collaboration is seamless and is not limited by location or device constraings. Teams can work collaboratively in real time and teamwork is enhanced with rich communication and information visualization aids. The same tools are used for both individual and collaborative productivity. Social networks are easy to identify and leverage, supported by reputation tracking. PIEs will supports multiple communication methods seamlessly, enabling users to engage with each other directly.
Built on a sustainable foundation
PIE components are easy to install, maintain and modify. They will integrate with existing software and will support third-party extension. PIEs will allow end users to create mashups that integrate diverse data and analysis components. PIEs will be secure by design, while offering services that are accessible widely across locations and platforms.
Based on these tenets, core PIE capabilities will include:
- Walk-up usability – users can enter the environment and be effectively served in their role without having to spend precious time and effort customizing the system.
- Precise information delivery – information is delivered to fulfill user needs within the context of their current role and types of activities being performed.
- Collaborative analysis and decision making – utilizing the knowledge and experience of peers and the wisdom of the crowd, bring to bear appropriate resources for a given problem or situation.
- Consequence analysis – decision making is improved through an understanding of the consequences of action based on current choices and information available.
- Multi-user, multi-phase operational support – supports multiple levels of users across dimensions of activity (plan, train, respond, recover, and analyze) all on the same system.